. . .

DIY Non-Toxic Ways to Get Rid of Mold

Mold is a prevalent problem for homes in high-humidity areas. It grows inside walls, in bathroom corners, tiles, and grout. Over time, it can rot wood and damage your home. Mold is also a health hazard as it can cause an allergic reaction and respiratory problems. Unfortunately, this problem isn’t always visible. If you don’t take time to inspect your house thoroughly, you may not know you already have a mold problem until it’s too late.

How do you know there is mold in your home?

The first step to resolving the problem is knowing if mold is already growing in your house. Luckily, you can easily identify them because they appear as black spots growing in various damp areas. However, there are different species of mold that could grow in your home. Ordinary mildew and black mold may be removed using cleaning products with bleach. But, some types of mold are toxic and should only be removed by a professional.

Getting rid of mold with professional help

Before we discuss DIY ways on how to get rid of mold, let’s emphasize the importance of hiring a professional first. When the problem is too significant to handle on your own, don’t hesitate to hire a mold removal service. Deep-seated mold growth will require a special procedure to ensure safety and minimize damage to property. You can also request for a mold inspection to know the extent of growth and determine the best approach for a thorough removal.

DIY mold remediation

Now, if you’re only dealing with surface mold growth manageable through DIY cleaning, we have here three non-toxic ways of cleaning that won’t harm your health.

  • Hydrogen peroxide mixture. Before you start cleaning, make sure to use protective gloves and a good scrubbing brush. Since hydrogen peroxide is an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal solution, it’s quite effective in removing mold as well. Use a 3% concentrate and leave it on the surface for at least ten minutes. Scrub the surface and wipe clean with a rag making sure that there are no leftover spots.
  • Plain vinegar. The acidity of vinegar kills almost all types of mold. Use distilled white vinegar without diluting with water. Spray over mold and leave to soak for several minutes. Finally, wipe with a damp cloth and allow to dry completely. Don’t worry about the smell as it will dissipate after a few hours.
  • Baking soda mixture. You can use a mixture of water and baking soda to kill mold. Another benefit of baking soda is that it can also absorb moisture and deter further growth. After spraying the surface, clean and wipe with a damp cloth. Spray with baking soda again and allow the area to dry completely.

These alternatives to ordinary cleaning products are effective and safe. If you have pets and young children in your household, it’s best to avoid cleaning chemicals that release toxic fumes. However, if you’re hiring a cleaning service to get rid of mold, you may want to ask about the products they use to ensure safety.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

eighty four ÷ 12 =