Steam cleaning has taken the world by storm, as it quickly became one of the fastest and most efficient ways to clean your house. Yet not everyone has heard about it! Here, we try to introduce more people to the benefits a steam vacuum cleaner can bring to your life.
Read on to find out more about how a steam cleaner can enrich your life, rid you of allergens and clean your home up with minimal effort on your part! Here is everything you need to know about steam vacuums and steam cleaners!
1. The basics
A steam cleaner is an eco-friendly cleaning device, powered by water and electricity, used to sanitize, clean, and deodorize practically any surface. With a wide variety of accessories available, you can use it to clean virtually any surface, and with the addition of “dry cleaning” alternatives, you can even prevent moisture from building up. The water is heated up and evenly applied, to get rid of stains, deep-set dirt, and refresh your environment, without the use of any chemicals!
Also, the surface becomes sanitized – removing any bacteria or bed bugs present!
2. All the distinct types
Steam cleaners come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, but here are the main ones:
- Handheld steam cleaners – easy to use, occupy little space, but may have a smaller ability.
- Steam mops – easy to store, perfect for flat surfaces, but may pose challenges when reaching into areas difficult to clean.
- Cylindric steam cleaners – these steam cleaners tend to be pricier, but they supply more features, attachments, and utility. The downside? They’re harder to store and less mobile.
Finding the best steam vacuum is easy, once you know what you’re looking for!
3. Where to use
For starters, steam cleaners can be used on almost any surface – except ones that are sensitive to water or heat.
Here are surfaces you should always avoid cleaning using a steam cleaner or at least recruit the help of a professional steam cleaner:
- Painted walls – the paint is typically not strongly sealed, so the water and heat being directly applied might cause issues.
- Paper, cardboard, wood without finish, and other malleable materials – given that these surfaces easily absorb water, steam cleaning is ill-advised and will likely damage the surface.
- Porous floors – any flooring with gaps, cracks, or pores in its surface will be at risk of warping if you use steam cleaning. Examples include: bamboo, limestone, marble, concrete, paving stones.
4. Features to seal the deal!
Not all steam cleaners are made equal – one of the main differentiating factors includes the ability to supply different uses to their handlers. Here are some of the best-rated features to keep an eye out for:
- Start-up time – given that the water must be first turned into steam, there is a natural heating up period associated with using steam cleaners. However, this can range from 30 seconds to 3 minutes, so be mindful of how long you’re willing to wait before you can start cleaning and pick accordingly.
- Capacity – handheld devices have about one-quarter of the duration of full-sized steam cleaners which have a cylindrical shape. Be mindful of it when picking the steam cleaners – if you’re planning on long cleaning sessions, it may be best to invest in a more sizable steam cleaner. Then you will have the benefit of not having to refill it every 10 minutes.
- Sanitization – one of the key benefits of steam cleaning, yet there is variation here as well. Some models require constant application of steam for ~15 seconds to sanitize the surface, while others only need a couple. Keep in mind how large are the cleaning areas you will want to sanitize, and pick accordingly!
We hope this entry into the world of steam cleaning has created enough of an appetite for more. Enjoy world-class cleaning, from the comfort of your own home.