No one wants moisture problems in the home. It can lead to major issues with mold and mildew. Properly controlling moisture levels at home is the principal way to keep your residence free of mold and mildew.
Sometimes, even when you are diligent, moisture problems can get out of control. When that happens, you may need to use a restoration service Vancouver BC.
What Is Mold?
Mold is a fungus that is found almost everywhere. In small amounts, mold is usually harmless, but when this fungus finds a damp spot in your home, it can start to proliferate. In some cases, mold in your home can make you ill, especially if you have pre-existing allergies or asthma.
Keeping Your Home Dry
Under normal circumstances, you can generally control the moisture level in your home or other living space. Do so by following these basic, easy-to-do-yourself tips:
- Assess Problem Areas in Your Home. Be aware of the rooms or spots where the persistent dampness may recur. Focus on these places first, especially high summer humidity or after a big rainfall.
- Dry Wet Areas Quickly. Don’t permit moist or damp areas to stay wet. Dry them out quickly, within 24 to 48 hours, to prevent mold growth.
- Use Proper Ventilation. Ensure that your lining areas are properly ventilated. Open doors between rooms to increase circulation.
- Use Insulation Effectively. Place insulationon cold surfaces, such as exterior walls, to reduce condensation.
- Monitor Humidity within the Home. Keep indoor humidity below 60% if possible.
- Examine the Outside of Your Home. Make sure water is draining away from the foundation and outer walls.
- Invest in Mold-Resistant Products. Mold-resistant drywall and sheetrock are very useful in areas with wet and humid climates. In older homes, updating using these products can work wonders.
Remember, if your home moisture problem gets out of hand, you’ll need a quick response to protect your residence effectively.